Wednesday 23 August 2017

Rolf's Quest - Aubrey Wynne

                I can say without any hesitation that Rolf’s Quest is one of the best romance novels that I have ever read. I was a bit hesitant to read it because so many books in the romance genre follow a very basic formula. Girl meets boy, they fall in love, an obstacle tears them apart, and then they find their way back to each other. It’s obviously a successful equation considering how popular the romance genre has become and Ms. Wynne definitely follows the same basic storyline. What is different about her book is all of the little details she has added, such as a brilliantly descriptive setting and characters who are not only likeable but even, in some ways, relatable.
                Rolf’s Quest is set during the reign of Henry II soon after he took the throne. Rolf is a wizard who is trying to break a curse set on Merlin many generations ago. The first male of each generation to fall in love without the help of magic will free Merlin from the tree he is captured in. None have succeeded so far until Rolf who has dreamed about Melissa for as long as he can remember. The only problem is that she is betrothed to the handsome yet cruel Duke of Sunderland. Okay, so it does sound cheesy and yes, the cover is of a generic long haired and buff Adonis that so often graces the covers of romance novels but I swear it is so worth reading.
                The setting is what first drew me in. Ms. Wynne creates for the reader a time that is as richly woven as the tapestries hanging on the castle walls. The characters are well developed and entertaining and each have their own unique history. Whether you love them or love to hate them, you won’t be disappointed in their dimensionality. The women, in particular Melissa, are strong and have minds of their own, something not very common during this time period. Merlin is a crusty old curmudgeon, even while trapped in a tree. I even like Charles, Melissa’s betrothed, even though he does turn out to be a horse’s behind. I can’t believe I am going to say this but I hope there is more to come in Rolf and Melissa’s story so that I can enjoy another book in the series.
I read this on my ereader and it formatted well. As I previously wrote, the cover is the usual and expected cover from a book in the romance genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment