Sunday 5 February 2017

Strong Reflection - Cate Mckoy



                Strong Reflections is the second book in the Dark Series Trilogy and is listed as a part of the romance/suspense genre. I haven’t read the first book but I liked the premise and found the cover quite eye-catching so I decided to take a chance. I’m not usually a fan of romance books but if it’s mixed with a healthy amount of mystery I can find enjoyment in the book. This particular book is about seventy-five percent romance and fifteen percent suspense so there were times that I found myself laughing at some of the cheesiness of the dialogue. Pet names such as “Babydoll” for a supposedly tough FBI agent and some of the wording that I won’t write here due to the explicitness of it provided me with some humour in places that I’m pretty sure weren’t supposed to be funny.  It is also quite sexually explicit which didn’t bother me and was, for the most part, quite well written but if that’s a problem for some readers they should give this book a pass. I would have liked to have read the first book in the series so that I could have had some back story to Ashley’s trauma and relationship connections to other characters. Ms. McKoy does a really good job of providing enough information without giving the whole first book away. I’m conflicted as to whether I find the characters of Ashley and Kyle believable. Maybe two people falling in love do act and speak with enough sugary sweetness that I felt nauseous but it seemed strange coming from seasoned federal agents. This is probably just me though. The characters are well fleshed out and multidimensional even if they are overly saccharine towards each other. I really enjoyed the suspense part of the book. There’s a great twist at the end that made me want to read the third and final book in the series. Overall, I’m left confused with myself because the romance was neither here nor there for me but I loved the style of writing and the mystery. I hope this author has written or will write a novel where suspense plays the main part. I will say that the erotic writing is very well done. I’ll be sure to look for the third book to add to my reading list. I read this on my ereader and it formatted well. The cover, as I’ve already said, is very attractive and is what initially drew me to the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment