Saturday 30 January 2016

Black Inked Pearl - Ruth Finnegan



                Black Inked Pearl is not a typical love story. It’s written in a poetic form with lots of what I assumed were made up words that often made very little sense to me although the author did include in the back a list of terms (not made up) that helped me understand quite a bit. There were parts of the story that I really liked, such as Kate’s visit to the old people’s home and the beautiful descriptions of Ireland. Some of the poetry was really lovely and touching, describing the heartache and beauty that accompanies love, especially evident in the poems near the end of the book. I also liked the story which was the age old need to find one’s true love just like Kate, the main character, who spends her life trying to find the man she once rejected but now knows is her soul mate. It’s beautiful and touching but, at times, the writing style is somewhat choppy which cause me some confusion. I don’t want to have to concentrate so hard just to read a book unless I’m analyzing it for a university class which, by the way, this book would be great to use as required reading. So I’m a bit on the fence about this book. If you’re looking for a beautiful love story albeit a challenging one to read, then this book is perfect for you. The cover is darkly beautiful and the digital version read well on my ereader.

No comments:

Post a Comment